Your baht or my baht?


March 26
In the middle of the night there is a huge thunderstorm and the rains came pouring down outside, but left behind a really brilliant day.  This is going to be our very last day on Koh Tao and we are all a bit sad about that prospect.  We begin the process of tidying up our belongings.  Annie, Paulie and I go off to our favorite bakery and get a HUGE cinnamon bun, a custard filled doughnut and a strawberry filled doughnut that we all share among ourselves.  Afterward, I decide to have a much needed haircut at a nearby salon.  I must admit, I am not very conservative, but have a little moment of pause as my “ladyboy” hairdresser approaches me with a pair of scissors.  All is well and I get a very nice haircut and a very good story to tell my friends.  Annie and I then decide to have a pedicure which turns into a bit of a fiasco.  We sit down for a one hour procedure and about twenty minutes into it, they start polishing.  That ain't right!  I do my best to tell them that they menu says that a pedicure is one hour for 150Baht and they do their best to tell me that the card is wrong....not one hour.  Well, by my reasoning, not one hour...then not 150Baht.  We go back and forth for a while and I finally offer them 100Baht each....the proprietress refuses to take my money and opens the door for us to leave.  Not what I had in mind.  

Nevertheless, we then decide to just enjoy our last day with plenty of rest and relaxation and the best way to do that is to go to the beach and float around for a while.  We venture out in the late afternoon to seek out a new place for dinner and while we are underway Hudson’s stomach begins to hurt.  He may have had enough of Asian food for a while, so we stop by a grocery and pick him up some cereal and milk and walk him back home.  We return to find a restaurant and come across a new place that was recommended to us by some of our friends at the dive shop.  We order a nice meal and Paulie finally has a dessert he has been wanting for a while – Mango and Sticky Rice!  We get home and Paulie and I go down to the hotel restaurant to do a little internet research on our next location – Krabi and Ao Nang Beach.  Turns out there is no internet connection, so we have wonderful chat with one of the restaurant guys.  He is from Burma and immigrated to Thailand 16 years ago.  He was a monk in Burma for one year and we have a long conversation with him about Buddhism.  We return to the room to drift off to sleep and to look forward to waking up early to depart our little paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment